Immigration Law


At Germino, Amaral and Jordan, we provide immigration law services to clients seeking assistance with applications for permanent residence (green cards), family petitions, naturalization/citizenship,deportation/removal defense and asylum. We are committed to client satisfaction by providing responsive, individualized service and focused attention to each client's immigration issues.


Below is a list of some of the immigration law services we provide:


Naturalization/Citizenship: Our firm assists individuals and families with naturalization , a process through which a person becomes a U.S. citizen after fulfilling all legal requirements; as well as citizenship, a status acquired or derived by an individual by way of their parents' citizenship or naturalization.


Family Based Visa Petitions: We provide dedicated legal support to individuals and families seeking to bring fiancés, spouses, children, parents, brothers, sisters, and other family members to the United States. We can guide you through the various steps of applying for a family visa, fully explain the process, and provide an estimate regarding the amount of time the process may take.


Adjustment of Status: The Immigration of Nationality Act (INA) permits the change of an individual's immigration status while in the United States from nonimmigrant or parolee (temporary) to immigrant (permanent) if the individual was inspected and admitted or paroled into the United States and is able to meet all required qualifications for a green cared (permanent residence) in a particular category. the common term for a change to permanent status is "adjustment of status."


The INA provides an individual two primary paths to permanent resident status. Adjustment of status is the process by which an eligible individual already in the United States can get permanent resident status (a green cared) without having to return to their home country to complete visa processing. The second pathway to permanent resident status is consular processing.


Consular Processing: An individual who is the beneficiary of an approved immigrant petition and has an immigrant visa number immediately available may apply at a U.S. Department of State consulate abroad for an immigrant visa in order to come to the United States and be admitted as a permanent resident. This pathway is referred to as "consular processing."


Extreme Hardship Waivers (I-601): Many individuals deal with the issue of inadmissibility even when they meet the requirements for an immigrant visa. An individual who is ineligible for admission into the United States may still be able to enter by filing a Form I-601, Waiver of inadmissibility. In order to receive an I-601 Waiver, the applicant must prove s/he would suffer extreme hardship if not admitted to the United States.


Non-Immigrant Visas: Nonimmigrant visas are available for a variety of purposes. People come to the US on a temporary basis as tourists on visitor visas (B-1/B-2), "temporary professional workers" on work-related visas (H1-B), crew members (D-1), treaty traders/treaty investors (E-1/E-2), and students (F-1).


There are many other types of nonimmigrant visas, which can be viewed on the Department of State's website at If you would lie to apply for a nonimmigrant visa and would like assistance with the application process, please contact our office for a consultation.


Deportation/Removal Defense: If you are a foreign-born individual living in the Unite States, the possibility of deportation can be extremely distressing, especially if you would be separated from your family here in the U.S.


At Germino, Amaral and Jordan, we understand who much is at stake when you face deportation. If you are not an American citizen and are living in the U.S., you may face deportation if: you entered the United States illegally; your visa status has expired; or you have been convicted of a crime. However, you do have rights you can assert against your deportation/removal. Some of the available defenses to removal are cancellation of removal (available to legal permanent residents and undocumented persons), asylum, withholding of removal, adjustment of status, and voluntary departure.


Asylum: Persons in the United States either lawfully or unlawfully can apply for asylum. An applicant for asylum must show either past persecution or a well-founded fear of future persecution based on race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or membership in a particular social group. An asylum seeker must submit his or her application within one year of arriving in he United States. There are exceptions to the one-year deadline, including extraordinary circumstances and changed circumstances.


Deferred Action for childhood Arrivals (DACA): On June 15, 2012, the Secretary of Homeland Security announced that certain people who came to the United States as children and meet several key guidelines may request consideration of deferred action for a period of two years, subject to renewal, and would then be eligible for work authorization. The application period for this relief has now opened. To meet with an attorney to discuss whether you meet the requirements for the DACA please contact our office at (209) 826-5024.